- 12. 4. 2021
- Ionian Islands
Inhabited since the ancient years, was a very important point during the Roman occupation of Greece. The name Parga was first used in 1318 and is probably of Slavic origin. It was part of the Epirus Despot during the Byzantine era.
The town was occupied by the Venetians, the French, and the British, who sold the town to the Ottomans. The people were then forced to move to Corfu in order to avoid being enslaved. The town along with the rest of Epirus was reunited with Greece in 1913.
Parga is an island of 276,5 km², and now has a population of approx. 2.500.
Most of the following beaches and bays are used as ports and moorages for yachts.
and many more.
Activities and Events
On the 15th of August of every year, Pargina or Kanaria take place and is a celebration both religious-celebrating Virgin Mary-and historical as a representation of the return of the people’s town back after a century of being away from their fathers land. A spectacular event, worth seeing!
When at Parga a visitor can do almost all the known sea sports and additionally visit the mountains around, ideal for hiking.